View Single Post
Old April 27, 2010, 09:18 PM   #19
TheShootist1894

Quote:
Well I got alot of opinons but nobody has laid down any numbers. that makes me think that many of you are not trained as smith. Everybody thinks Im trying to make $50k right off the bat, Im not. But I think a fair wage might be $15 with benifits. Im no bubba, my work was good enough to win me a scholarship. And Im way better than 5 other schools out there based on what I saw at the Brownell's career fair. But I know I am no way experianced. I have about $3000 in tools now but no lathe, mill, tanks, belt sanders, drill press etc. I guess I would still need to get another $2000 in hand tools and guages. Many of the shops out there already have mauch of these things in there stores already.
As far as overhead in the gun stores. The rent, lights have to be paid regardless if there is a smith there or not. Their main buisness is to sell guns. The guns on the shelf are the overhead. Those guns sitting on the shelf could be better use earning interest if they don't sell quick. The counter help cost you a days wage no matter if he sells a gun or not that day. And he usually has to sell at least 1-2 day just to break even for the shop to cover his wage. But the smith generates income for the shop for just by being there. Ever shop i've ever checked is back logged with work. So he should be billing customers $65 X 8 hours everyday. Even with tooling costs, insurance and electricity and $12 and hour does not even come close to $65 and hour charge rate. So that said, only those who are working as trained proffesional gunsmiths need to answer. No home smiths or self taught guys with machinist backgrounds. I want to know what the smiths out there who work for big gunshops make.

The smith does not generate income just by clocking in I assure you, if a small retail shop hires a Gunsmith they expect to lose money on this new hire for 2-6 months at least. . . .this is due to ramping up buying of tools and everyday disposables (oil, cleaners, degreasers, rags, paper towels, ect. . .)
Realistically the you will only be able to charge customers for 2/3-3/4 of the hours you are working. Also the new smith doesn't get much recognition locally on just his school projects, people ooh and ahh but that generally isn't what they will use a gunsmith for, you will get small crappy jobs for awhile, anywhere you go, people will put the new guy to the test. Not to mention your boss will likely bolster his advertising budget to get the word out that he has hired a full time gunsmith.. . . .

Sounds to me like you need to get your feet wet buddy, youre awful proud of your work by the sounds of things, but since your name isn't Bill Wilson or Doug Turnbull you don't have a lot to hang your hat on. . .

It is good to be proud of your work, you have to like it to make other people like it, but you are the new kid on the block, take the job that makes you happiest .. .

You may want to work for a big shop (Turnbull was hiring in December FYI, and I heard Wild West Guns was also shopping, Gander Mountain is always hiring somewhere, and they start at 13-15/hr + Beni's) But I started at a small shop, why?? Because I strive to provide the finest customer service possible, and I need customer contact to feel like I am getting the job done right.

Currently I cannot see myself moving to a larger shop, as after 6 Months of working at this small shop we are moving to a new location, where my side of the shop will be 3X bigger and the retail side will be 2.5X bigger . . .That lets me know I am not screwing the pooch here, and I stay busy.

Cost of living is also something you should take into consideration, upon Graduation I bought a house with my long time Fiance' $62K for 1650 square feet 3 BR 2 Bath built in the 1960's in a nice small town in rural NW Ohio

What Im getting at is you better take one of those offers, there are thousands of other 'educated' people with a lot more time in school than you or I that don't have ANY offers

BTW I Resent your comments about the others 'schools' work, being a Graduate of one, It is the individuals, not the schools that make great work, just like Colleges don't make geniuses. . . Have you ever made a stock from a blank of walnut?

Tell you what, if you really want to talk to a guy in your situation, shoot me a PM and we can go from there.. . .

Pennsylvania Gunsmith School Class of 2009

Thanks
Karl Beining
www.ottawaordnance.com

Page generated in 0.02822 seconds with 8 queries