View Single Post
Old September 22, 2009, 01:07 PM   #9
NWPilgrim

For most game deer sized and under any modern SP bullet, of normal for caliber weight, is going to work well. In thirty caliber anything from 150gr to 180 gr CoreLokts or Power Points are going to kill a deer. On the other hand, how many bullets do you need to shoot while hunting? Why not have the best and most accurate for a few dollars more?

I would use premium bullets if I expected unusual circumstances. If I wanted a light for caliber bullet for reduced recoil for a new shooter I would look to a Barnes TSX or a bonded SP. Or if hunting bear, elk or moose even though heavy for caliber bullets can achieve much the same performance. But hunting deer out to 200 yds I don't see the benefit of premium bullets if you use a decent weight. When I buy hunting ammo I generally just get the Remington CoreLokts. But when I buy bullets for reloading I get the heavier Ballistic Tips or Partitions.
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison

Page generated in 0.02724 seconds with 8 queries