View Single Post
Old August 3, 2000, 08:31 PM   #7
Badger Arms

Front Sight Replacements might be found at:
www.brownells.com and look for Ithaca as Manufacturer or:
www.ithacagun.com under the parts section.

Who ever said the Ithaca was unreliable never owned one. That's crap. Mine have all been totally reliable. That's more than I can say about my Remington 870. The Ithaca 37 was designed by none other than John Moses Browning and John Pederson (sp?).
Having the same loading / ejection port is not where the Ithaca gets it's bad reputation. In fact, that's an asset in the field because of fouling and ejection issues. The reputation comes from LA Cops who don't know how to stroke the gun. You stroke it all the way back and it functions EVERY TIME!!! Some stupid cops have shot their buddies or other bystanders when they neglected to take their fingers off the trigger while cycling and forgot the golden rule -- never point the gun at anything you do not intend to kill or destroy.

As for the orig. post, Good find Gizmo. I'd cherish it and love it and give it a good home if I were you. The full choke is probably a departmental specification having something to do with wanting more accurate pattern placement. Might have been a lawyer's suggestion also. Not necessarilly a bad thing for home defense though.

Finally, to find out if the gun is truly "slam-fire," you simply: unload and clear the gun, ensure VISUALLY that the gun is empty by looking at the chamber with the gun upside down, close the action, with the gun pointed in a safe direction, pull the trigger. The hammer will fall. Keep your finger on the trigger and the gun pointing in the safe dierction while you cycle the action all the way back and then ever so slowly forward. Slam-fire guns will cause the hammer to fall about the same time the gun goes into battery. Newer guns will lower the hammer before the gun goes into battery causing the slide to lurch gently forward into battery.

If you have a slam-fire gun, enjoy. If not, the disconnector can be modified by a qualified and competent gunsmith to slam-fire style.

[This message has been edited by badgerarms (edited August 03, 2000).]

Page generated in 0.03176 seconds with 8 queries