View Single Post
Old November 14, 2017, 03:07 PM   #8
Stats Shooter

One of the reasons I began seriously reloading was because of a .338 Lapua Magnum.

I started with the RCBS starter kit that came with a rock chucker supreme, 5-0-5 scale, hand primer, uniflow powder measure, and some other stuff.

Some advice.

Buy Lapua brass. It will last longer and give better results. Without annealing, at max load pressures, I got 9 reloads.

the 300 grain match king and 300 grain Lapua scenars gave me the best accuracy without having to worry much about seating depth. The hornady 285's were ok, but didn't group as well as the match kings or scenars.

Retumbo powder gave the most consistent results for me.

My rifle has a 1:10 Twist so if yours is slower, i don't know how the 300 grain bullets will perform. I did find that the lighter bullets like the 250's and even the 270's didn't perform as well as the heavier 300 grain bullets.

I couldn't get the Berger's to shoot in that gun and still feed from the magazine so I gave up on them. They might work fine if I had been content to single load, but feeding from the mag was a requirement.

Some folks recommend using Federal 215 primers as they are hotter, but I found CCI-250's to work great with 91 grains of powder. My load is right around 2,880 fps with a 27" barrel.

Page generated in 0.03747 seconds with 8 queries