View Single Post
Old January 25, 2020, 12:52 PM   #47
davidsog

Quote:
Just my take/opinion, a gun with a empty chamber is like driving your car thinking you'll get your seat belt on before the crash.
Exactly.

Start teaching them as soon as they can understand the difference between yes and no. That is part of your responsibility as parent.

When my kids were born, I bought a gun safe. My guns were either in my immediate control or locked up until they became educated on them. I also got a pocket pistol (.40 cal AMT Backup) to carry at home, a pistol safe by the nightstand, and kept my loaded shotgun in the safe. The pocket pistol got me to the nightstand which got me to shotgun. The pocket pistol was there for the immediate threat.

My girls grew up with guns and even had their own at an early age. They had their own adult pellet rifles and I set up an indoor range with pellet traps for them. There were never any mysteries in the gun safe to them. Anytime they were curious we opened it up together and took the time to pass on a culture of safety. They learned, earned trust, and were allowed to take responsibility. I watched them pass that on to their friends in the backyard and at the local range. By the time High School came around, both ended up on the JROTC rifle team at their school and in college, ROTC.

My Home Defense also changed as my children grew up. I eventually went to a loaded duty pistol"in the nightstand" and a shotgun stashed nearby. All of them ready to perform their intended duties.

Leaving a loaded weapon accessible to young, uneducated children is irresponsible. Leaving a weapon in a condition is not able to perform its intended duty of defending your family is also irresponsible. Your Home Defense tactics and tools must adapt to fulfill both.

Page generated in 0.02778 seconds with 8 queries