View Single Post
Old April 21, 2012, 07:15 AM   #3
Aguila Blanca
Staff

There are compensators that are NOT classified as flash suppressors. I remember discussing this with a supplier of AR-15 uppers at one point. I was looking for a post-ban upper and they were advertising mostly pre-ban configurations. Of course, I was only talking to a salesperson, not a BATFE agent (not that BATFE agents would all give consistent answers anyway), but what I was told was that they made post-ban uppers by replacing the flash hider with a compensator and welding it in place.

I have no idea how NY state (or any municipality within the state) would view home-brewed attempts to sanitize a flash hider, but I suspect it would not go well for you. As to a bayonet lug -- I know the Federal AWB didn't say the lug had to be functional. Bayonet lugs were not allowed -- period. Isn't NY's law basically modeled after the old Federal AWB? And why would you want a non-functional bayonet lug anyway? My AR-15 was bought during the Federal AWB period so it has no bayonet lug. This may sound unbelievable but, in the 12 years I have owned it, I haven't once wanted to fix a bayonet and found myself cursing the fact there's no lug there.

In fact, in a full combat tour in Vietnam back in the 60s, I carried an M16 and I don't believe I ever attached a bayonet to my rifle.

Page generated in 0.02443 seconds with 8 queries