View Single Post
Old October 26, 2011, 06:02 PM   #16
snuffy

Quote:
I may be wrong, but, aren't most bullet jackets made of copper? So shouldn't they "fowl" about the same? This is a question kinda.
As scorch said, guilding metal is copper and zinc, the percentage of those 2 metals differs from one manufacture to another.

Solid copper bullets are made for several reasons. Concerns with any lead in the meat, and California demands lead-free ammo in some areas.

Solid copper bullets are extremely difficult to make. The machinery is expensive and wears out sooner , so the bullets HAVE to cost more. Use of a Barnes bullet for general shooting would be VERY expensive. But use as a once-in-a-lifetime-trophy-hunt would be a small extra expense.

It amazes me how people spend huge amounts of money on the hunting trip, lodging, clothes, then go out and buy the cheapest ammo they can find.

There are other choices for mono, or solid bullets being made. Hornady's excellent GMX,(Guilding Metal eXpanding), bullet is a poly tipped bullet that displays the same type of expansion as the Barnes. Nosler has the E-tip, which is similar to the Hornady GMX.

I once said I would never buy a Barnes bullet. I didn't think there was a need for the deer I hunt. However I just got a box of the 62 grain Barnes .223 TSX-BT for loading in my bushmaster. IF I ever would want to use it for deer, I'd want a bullet that would NOT fragment, or blow up on a rib or other bones. They were a bit more per box than other .223 bullets, BUT only had 50 bullets/box.

I tested those in the test tube expansion media, they performed as expected, and BETTER than several other heavy-for-caliber-bullets.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?

Page generated in 0.03084 seconds with 8 queries