View Single Post
Old February 13, 2008, 11:34 AM   #20
Lurper

Quote:
The days of square range training where at most we stand at the same place, draw and fire at a static target as the measure of how well we are trained for a gunfight are over.
Yeah, because it didn't work for Jordan or some of the other legendary gunfighters, right?
I have to shake my head when I see comments like that. The single most important skill you can develop as a civilian is the ability to hit your target quickly.

Competition is a good way to help train. Jordan and others have attributed it as a major reason they survived. It induces stress in a way that exercise cannot - it's not an elevated pulse rate that you want, you want to induce as much of the entire spectrum of stress as possible. FOF, paintball, sims all have shortcomings which most of their proponents refuse to acknowledge. As mentioned earlier, knowing that you won't get killed or seriosly injured plays a factor. Also, the effects of being hit cannot be simulated, most of the scenarios are not realistic (depending on who's running them) and can instill or reinforce bad habits. I'm not saying they are totally useless, but they should augment your training, not be your training. If you cannot hit your target quickly, FOF, cover, moverment, all of that means nothing. Your training should consist of a mix of them.

Page generated in 0.02053 seconds with 8 queries