View Single Post
Old December 2, 2007, 05:28 PM   #1
ManWithaPlan

Taurus PT58 review

The Taurus PT58 is a compact version of the PT92. It is a delayed blowback, chambered in .380acp. It is much larger than the Beretta 80 series. It has come through the following models:

PT58S - 12 round magazines, no decocker
PT58SD - 12 round magazines, with decocker
PT58HC - high capacity 15 round magazines, with a decocker. The grip is longer than the previous models, almost the same lenght as a PT92.
PT58HC Plus - Current model. It is the same PT58HC, but it comes with two extended 19 round magazines. The PT58HC Plus also takes the 15 round mags.

Many years ago, I used to have a PT58S. I do not remember a lot about the pistol, I didn´t shoot it very often, but I remember it was reliable.

A few weeks ago I bought a PT58HC Plus, LNIB, and carried it.

I have fired about 500 rounds with it, mostly reloads, I have a friend that reloads .380acp. We tried 2 recipes. We also used a plinking recipe tabulated with very low pressures, and the PT58 ate them all with no failures of any kind. 100% reliability. Accuracy was not that impressive: At 17 yards, I averaged 6" groups. I usually fare better than that. I´ll try it with different ammo, factory ammo, and results may improve.

The pistol has a tendency to eject spent cartridges everywhere. Sights on mine are simple 3 dot sights. Rear sight is metal dove tailed, front sight is an integral part of the slide. The sights work, and I did not make any adjustments. Recoil is soft. With lighter loads, there is barely any. IMO this pistol would be a good fit for recoil-sensitive shooters. Very easy to pull the slide. The pistol has an aluminum frame and, loaded with 16 rounds, it feels light on the hip.

I carried it IWB for two weeks, and I was surprised to find rust spots at the disassembly lever and the left side grip screws. I removed the spots and treated the pistol parts with an anti-corrosion product. That solved the problem with the disassembly lever, but not on the exposed surface of the grip screws. Internally, the surface is wavy on the frame, under the end of the bore. I can feel it with my finger.

The pistol runs smoothly, though. Trigger has a little bit of slack in DA, but no slack at all on SA.

The PT58S I used to have years ago had 12+1 capacity, and did not have a decocker. This one has a decocker, and 15+1 capacity. The spring guide rod in the new one is stainless steel. The grip in the new one is larger, same size as a PT92 grip. I think the smaller, shorter grip of the 58S was more appropriate to the pistol. I tested the PT58HC grip panels on a PT100, and they fit. They should fit the PT92.

I do not like the 19 round magazines. The gun is muzzle light as it is, and the protuberant +4 extension further compromises the size and balance of the pistol. I carried it with 15 round magazines.

PT58HC Plus with 15+1 magazines

PT58HC Plus with 19+1 magazines

PT58HC Plus

PT58HC Plus, Frame

Pros:
Reliable ++
Low recoil +
Pistol works very smoothly+

Cons:
Big for the caliber -
Non-steel frame -
Finish does not offer much resistance to rust -

PS: I am having difficulties in removing the magazine catch, the thumb safety levers, and the main spring. The only holding pin I was able to get out was the extractor pin. Any advice is appreciated.

Page generated in 0.02811 seconds with 8 queries