View Single Post
Old October 2, 2002, 02:05 PM   #9
ZeusOne

Yup, my 625 goes through ammo too. It's comforting to know that I'm not the only one with a defective one.

My first press was a Lee Challenger Anniversary kit, and it continues to work just fine (in addition to the kit, you will need to buy a set of dial calipers, carbide dies and a good reloading manual or two). I added a Pro AutoDisk powder measure a little while later, and that speeds things up considerably. I continue to use this press today for all rifle loads (don't ask me why), small batch experimenting, the occasional batch deprime when I get the urge to clean primer pockets (infrequent!), and a host of other chores.

My other press is a RCBS 2000 Progressive (manual index). What an impressive chunk of metal that is. Admittedly, the Lee looks like a cheap little toy in comparison, but in practice the only thing the RCBS has over the Lee is speed.

Cost is a factor for many of us here. However, it's time-consuming to load volume on a single stage press - so you have to decide how much free time you have on a weekly basis and what this time is worth to you.

Another factor is that you'll recover your equipment investment rather quickly reloading 45acp. So spending more on equipment initially may not be a bad thing.

Oh, and you'll need a tumbler and sifter to clean your cases.

Shooting a ragged hole with homemade? Priceless!

Page generated in 0.02924 seconds with 8 queries