View Single Post
Old November 11, 2001, 05:46 PM   #2
Tall Man

A question already answered

In my opinion, the most "gun friendly" state is Vermont, with respect to the absence of modern nuisance laws that serve to hinder the ease of lawful ownership of firearms.

Let's give my home state, Pennsylvania, a chance for second place:

1. "Shall Issue" - $19.00 for a five year permit; cost varies by county. No training requirements at all. Modest permit reciprocity with a few other states.
2. Long gun transfers between private parties do not require background checks or any sort of special paperwork (apart from paper money, that is!)
3. We do not have a "One gun per month" purchase provision written into state law. Buy one today, and one tomorrow, and one the day after that...
4. Continuing from #1: Unlimited carry, which is to say that our weapons do not need to be illustrated on our permit in order to allow us to carry them.
5. PA Instacheck System ("PICS") costs $5.00 and takes 5 minutes, barring system problems. Some dealers charge $10.00; it's something to live with.
6. Ammunition and other accessory purchases, regardless of volume, may be made in a completly anonymous manner when transacting the sale in person.

Now, to keep this balanced, the PA State Police do maintain a registry of all firearm purchases, despite the unambiguous language of state law that specifically prohibits such registries as illegal. The approved purchase (i.e., the record of sale) is not destroyed after approval is issued, despite the requirement to do so.

I was privy, if you will, to witness the testimony of one of the PSP's designated lackeys at a legislative hearing. The PSP was responding to a challenge regarding the existance of the aforementioned registry. The PSP designate stated that the registry does exist, that maintaining it was necessary for crime investigation and prevention, and that any state law that prohibits the creation and maintenance of a purchage registry would certainly warrant "further investigation". Ugh - what arrogance.

Tall Man

Free, to a degree

Page generated in 0.04068 seconds with 8 queries