View Single Post
Old April 27, 2013, 03:40 PM   #1
MarkGlazer

Inconsistent Bullet Size Question

Board, I need some valuable input.

I was loading 9mm last night and kept coming up with an inconsistent OAL. I am loading for a CZ 75 P-01. The chamber size is a bit tight so the max length can only be 1.068. The OAL kept changing on my rounds, sometimes right on the money but most of the time very much under the 1.068 max.

I thought it through knowing that I made no changes to the die, had tested the first round and came to the conclusion that the bullet size must be changing. [I consistently check the size of the rounds, as a beginner, it's a Quality Control thing for me.] Sure enough, I began to measure the bullets from the box, lead cast, 115 grain, and the size from base to nose fluctuated from .530 to .541.

I am currently loading using the mean grain of 4.1 (Hodgons Titegroup) Here is the question; if I set the OAL using the largest of the bullets and do not adjust the die, allowing the bullets to seat shorter, hopefully not changing the depth of the seating, do I face any danger on the firing line? My intent is to seat each bullet no further than the top of the blue line.

I do understand that I will not have a consistent weight. I do not believe that adjusting the grains as a compensating factor is a wise choice, rather keeping the median constant is the safe move.

Please advise your thoughts on this problem.

Thank you.

Page generated in 0.03096 seconds with 8 queries