View Single Post
Old March 13, 2013, 03:35 PM   #3
buckhorn_cortez

EWL is a lubricant (oil) only and not a cleaner. Use whatever cleaning products you want and then use the EWL for lubrication. If you're having trouble with leading, swab the bore liberally with Kroil and let it sit for about 30 minutes. Use a bronze brush and the leading should push out of the barrel. If the leading is really bad, let the Kroil sit overnight.

Get a copper Chore Boy and unroll it. Cut a piece of the Chore Boy mesh and wrap it around a cleaning brush so you have a tight fit in the bore - that should push the lead out. The idea is that the Kroil is a penetrating oil that gets under the lead and the Chore Boy provides the added friction surface area to push it out.

A favorite cleaner for target shooters is Shooter's Choice with 30% Kroil. I use it on really cruddy barrels and they clean up like new. If you want something that is environmentally friendly with no odor - try Gunzilla. Frog Lube liquid is also a fairly good cleaner / lubricant, however I find it does not do as good a job as Gunzilla or the Shooter's Choice + Kroil in getting the fouling out of a barrel.

I tested the Frog Lube and cleaned barrels so that no more fouling appeared on the patches, then swabbed the bores with Gunzilla or Shooter's Choice / Kroil and gotten a lot more fouling to come out on the patches. The reverese is not true - as I've cleaned with the Gunzilla or Shooter's Choice + Kroil until the patches came out clean, then tried the Frog Lube and it could pull no more fouling out.

If you have copper fouling, try KG-12 it's the best I've found and has no odor.

Finally, lube with the EWL - a little goes a long way and it will not evaporate.

Page generated in 0.03640 seconds with 8 queries