View Single Post
Old June 28, 2012, 06:09 AM   #12
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPowderkeg
the problems i mentioned, i should have made specific, in making a firearm one must fabricate a certain percentage of the parts on site, i do not know the percentage of self made parts, when i was part owner and gunsmith in a shop, the self made parts were pretty high, ...
The percentage is and always has been 20 percent, and it's based on the amount of labor in the receiver (only the receiver) not any percentage of parts. As long as the owner performs at least 20 percent of the "work" in creating the receiver, that's all that the law (and the BATFE) requires.

Quote:
... the purchased parts allowed are springs and screws. otherwise the BATFE will consider just assembling existing parts to make a firearm which must meet legal standards, the same way we put together our favorite firearm.., e.g. AR-15/M4, which is perfectly legal !, if altering (shortening barrel) or adding certain parts (suppressor) one must apply for a $200.00 tax stamp.
I believe you are thinking of NFA firearms or AOWs (Any Other Weapons). There are no (Federal) restrictions on someone who wishes to make his/her own standard, non-NFA firearm. Of you have a block of steel, a blueprint and a milling machine, you can make your own 1911 or Mauser 98 from scratch and be perfectly legal.

Page generated in 0.02149 seconds with 8 queries