View Single Post
Old February 12, 2009, 01:27 AM   #10
bclark1

Steady rest is obviously the best. If you can get tree stands with a brace of some kind, or use hard-sides (like burying pallets sideways) for your blinds, you'll be in good shape when you're holding still.

Offhand anything is tough at any range. Most of the deer I've taken offhand have been because they weren't moving much and I had all day to steady. My offhand shots have been seated, ground and tree stand, or kneeling when on the move.

I put a bipod on my primary rifle which was great at the range, but 6-9" proved too short to be much use on the hilly terrain I hunted this last fall. I took a prone position in a hilltop field with the bipod at 9" and it still wasn't quite high enough, deer saw me fussing with it and booked.

Monopod shooting stick has been a help. It's sort of clumsy to keep out at all times - I usually strap it to my pack because you obviously want your hands on your firearm, not an accessory. Even when it's out, you probably don't want to be carrying it extended as it will snag everything (I usually shoot mine from kneeling-height) and it takes time to adjust to the proper height. However, if you have the time to set up a shot, it is definitely an improvement over offhand if you can't find another expedient rest. Also good for if you've spontaneously picked a new site and want a rest of some sort while your back's up against the tree. It's not a cure-all, as you'll still be surprised at how much wobble remains, but it's definitely a help.

Page generated in 0.03364 seconds with 8 queries