View Single Post
Old January 19, 2009, 05:23 PM   #11
nemoaz

Quote:
Tacman - To be clear - you now recommend that left eye dominant/right-handed people learn to use their right eye?
My guess is that it depends on the shooter. There are different kinds of "right eye" dominant. Personally, I am right eye dominant and left handed. I shoot right handed. Not a problem.

Here's the catch, however. I really COULDN'T effectively shoot left handed. I'm not just left eye dominant, I have a lazy eye (amblyopia). The nerves just don't work normally and the brain doesn't process what I see with that eye. I can shoot using that left eye, but shooting at 50 yards would seem like shooting at 300. The world is very fuzzy when viewed from that left eye.

With people who don't have a lazy eye, there is still very different degrees of eye dominance and vision in the non-dominant eye. If someone is 20/20 with both eyes and they adapt easily to shooting with the non-dominant eye, by all means teach them to do so. I do like shooting right handed. No hassling with trying to adapt my left-handed shooting to a weapons and holsters that are designed for right handed people

There are some people that have no eye-dominance, using both eyes or switching from one to the other. That's fun to deal with as an instructor.

Keeping both eyes open is an admirable tactic for most shooters-- better peripheral vision and field of view--, but it doesn't do anything to overcome a cross eye dominance problem (left eye dominant and right handed).

Everyone should practice shooting with either hand and either eye and your goal should really be to teach your youngster to be ambidextrous.

Page generated in 0.02457 seconds with 8 queries