View Single Post
Old November 10, 2005, 01:04 AM   #11
John 242

Narrowneck,
Thanks man.
We watched a video at work the other day in which a soldier was hit in the chest by what I assume was a rifle bullet of some sort. He dropped to the ground and after a few seconds jumped up and ran behind a HMMV.
I've been told that a SAPI plate will stop 7.62x54R Ball.
I have a vest that is supposed to stop 9mm ball fired from a submachine gun. I would assume that makes it a Level IIIA without the plates in? Regardless, I am not going to shoot it, or myself with it on, in order to prove a point.

I am not so much worried about actual penetration, but as to whether a person can return fire more or less immediately after receiving a hit from a slug. Whats an ounce? About 700 grains? Moving at roughly 1500fps? It would hurt, but.... would it take a person out of the fight? I've heard the same about .44 mags, and .45ACP being able to knock people off their feet even if the bullet were stopped by the armor, and I call BS. Not long ago I saw something on
the History Channel (I think) on body armor. I believe It was Richard Davis who would go around shooting himself. Davis was shot, and then immediately picked up a revolver and emptied it into a near bye target. His point was to prove that the effects of trauma were not enough to prevent effective return fire. Apparently at that time many police officers felt that even if the armor worked they would be sitting ducks because they would be rendered unable to return fire. Davis proved otherwise.

However a shotgun slug is a different story. With that much mass and force, would the trauma be so great that even if the slug were stopped, would the blunt trauma incapacitate the wearer?
I am of the opinion that it would not incapacitate the wearer.
I just can't prove it.
Thanks.

Last edited by John 242; November 10, 2005 at 03:16 AM.

Page generated in 0.02588 seconds with 8 queries