View Single Post
Old September 23, 2002, 11:21 PM   #1
Westicle

M1 Garand goes KABOOM!!

happened to a friend of mine that lives local to me, so this is not third hand information. My friend was trying to get into reloading and traded a guy for a Lee Hand Press with 30-06 dies, went to the local gun store and bought some powder on the advice of the guy behind the counter who also gave him a good load to start with .

Here is what he Loaded,

52 grains of Winchester 296 powder into once fired 30-06 brass, bullet was 180gr Hornady SP.

The results are in the picture Below, the shiny bent up things up top are the remaining cartridges that where in the enbloc clip..... the first round fired was the only one used.

As you can see the stock was disintegrated and the reciever was cracked, also the trigger module was blown out of the rifle and the attachment point was sheared off. The bolt was found in two pieces with the firing pin being blown right clear of it. My friend suffered minor injuries and the worst was picking the splinters out of his face. The fired case is still in the rifle but the case head is obviously blown right off.

Rifle was a Springfield M1D Garand Circa 1942, not sure if the barrel was orig. or not but it was well used, a 30-06 bullet would fit into the muzzle clear down to the brass.

Morale of the story is to check it twice and then stand back and check it again..... the store should have sold him win. 760 powder which a 52 grain load is appropriate for. the only rifle load we could find in the reloading books after the accident for 296 was for a 30-30 winchester which max load took 18.7 grains of powder.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg reload-1.jpg (30.5 KB, 3798 views)

Page generated in 0.03401 seconds with 9 queries