View Single Post
Old February 28, 2006, 05:10 AM   #67
Kas

Options are good!

Two or four legged attackers would seem best dealt with various levals of defense being available(on you).1st being pepper(or ammonia if you prefer)2nd a hickory/oak cane(asps or batons are illegal in lot of places like here in Oklahoma)3rd CCW with Glasers/Magsafes/RBCDs etc.Then you could try the spray,then the cane, and then that failing,Maybe Bang!"I was in fear of being maimed or killed officer!"(Really!)Measured deterence(incremental) is good IF possible as then if you do get in a legal situation you have tried to do all that's reasonably possible, before shooting.Best to avoid problems when you can,but equipped to deal with them if you can not.So when I leave my property,small pepper spray goes in my shirt pocket,.380 in my pants pocket(Kel Tec),folding serrated knife(seat belts or last resort),and would add a cane if going walking where a problem could arise.Before getting CCW(96)I had a number of instances (over several decades)just walking down the street/sidewalk, of aggressive dog/dogs coming at me in which case I pulled a folding knife and fortunately they decided not take it to the next level.Sabre makes good product(pepper/or pepper+cs gas)straight pepper is suppose to be best on 4 legged predators(bear spray etc.)while pepper+cs is supposed most effective on the 2 legged predators.Rather than mist type spray,the stream type spray would be less likely to blow back on you.Yes,I know this is not "the pepper spray forum",But having given this a lot of thought(dealing various type of predators)and talking with a friend who is an ethical/moral/ pro gun trial attorney,NRA member("yes Virgina they do exist!")I would strongly consider your options before you get in a situation.Oh,by the way he has not gotten in habit of carrying "pepper"on him(in the car/house),was taking a walk in his neighborhood(about dusk)was confronted by a menacing German shepard,and found his snubby .38 with Crimsom Trace laser grips very comforting,and was able to back away from threat with the dog breaking off.In his neighborhood,someone would have called the police,if he had been seen("sheep")Some pepper spray in this instance could have been very satisfying and good learning experience(for the dog)as well as alot more politically correct(less legal risk)As to protecting your property with deadly force,you would well advised to check your state/local laws.Here in OK. IF someone comes in your house uninvited and you feel you are being threatened with severe bodily harm/death you supposed to be immune from criminal/civil libelability,if you use deadly force.But if you hear someone commiting a property crime outside the house and "leave the safety of your house" and armed,confronted the poor misguided criminal,or say fired a warning shot into the ground you could be arrested for threatening/using deadly force which you can not do here(property crime) I make no claim as being any thing like an "expert" or a "attorney",but as victim of some "minor" property crimes recently(stolen tires/puntured sidewalls),found out (was reminded?)that there was very substantial risk(criminal/civil)in confronting or trying to detain these individuals:barf: Just to suppose to call the Sheriff,and perhaps I should ask poor unenlightened individuals if ,they would like some tea and crumpets and would they please wait till the deputies can arrive.Yea that's it! I will now get off my soapbox PS I have no desire to have any confrontation with any predator.But, If I am walking down a public street/sidewalk and your dog come out in a threatening manner,then I will whether alone/with dog/friend,etc., take the front position and defend against harm!That would be your Responsibity(fault) train your dogs and or contain them!I do not think anyone(here) really wants to be put in this position.But neither will we allow ourselves/women/children etc. to be victims of any predator, given other options, and NO "spraying and praying bullets" is never an option!We had to put up an electric fence to keep our escape artists contained

a

Last edited by Kas; February 28, 2006 at 03:39 PM. Reason: 2nd and 3rd thoughts

Page generated in 0.02965 seconds with 8 queries