View Single Post
Old October 8, 1999, 02:19 AM   #5
SB

After re-reading the thread, I realized that I didn't exactly answer Mr. Inu's questions.

My concealment methods are completely modeled around the summertime. If you can conceal in the summer, you can conceal any time during the year.

I don't believe in vests. I can't wear vests in the summertime without looking funny. Besides, they scream gun. However, that and a good strong-side paddle, pancake, or speed belt holster is undoubtedly the fastest presentation I've ever seen.

Actually, the bigger the size of the shirts, the less the gun will print. In fact, it is not unusual for people to select over-sized shirts for casual wear, as it tends to be more comfortable. That's probably stating the obvious though. And no, I don't look like a gang-banger. I can only say that concealment works just fine, even with thin fabric.

My IWBs are actually quite comfortable. In my personal experience, there are two variations on the theme for IWBs and Glocks: Open bottoms and rounded bottoms. The advantage of an open bottom is that you can use this holster for both short and long slide Glocks. Unfortunately, they can also be quite uncomfortable as it pokes your body. The other type is rounded bottom. This means if you have a Glock 26 IWB with a rounded bottom, for example, you won't be able to use it with your Glock 19. However, this type is much more comfortable. And for IWBs, this is definitely the way to go. On the other hand, I think the open bottom is better suited for OWBs. Why don't people follow this model consistently, I don't know. Anyways, mine are rounded bottoms. While I do notice them, I have regularly gone as much as 12 hours straight before I start experiencing any noticeable discomfort.

Yeah, printing by bending over is quite a problem. However, this is true for all types of concealment that uses the strong side position. The best recommendation I've heard for this is to learn to bend your legs while keeping your back straight. It's better for your back anyways.

IMHO, the IWB represents the highest level of concealment while still maintaining the speed of presentation necessary for PDWs (Primary Defense Weapon). I think it is the best option for conceal carry if you can get it to work. Paddles may be more versatile, but they tend to print more, at least for me. Pancakes are good too. But most conventional pancakes can't be snapped or slipped off. This is a problem because I have other junk hanging off of my belt. Alan Folt, I think, has an excellent pancake that can be snapped off. Unfortunately, the holster takes up too much belt space. A simple belt holster may be the best way to go. Just two hurdles with OWBs as opposed to IWBs. First, I find the OWBs do not hold the gun as close to your body as the IWBs. This alone is enough of a problem for me to shun it completely. And with long slides, you have to use shirts that will cover the whole thing.

Gosh, I sound like I am bashing everything else in favor of the IWBs. While I think highly of IWBs, I do not think it is the holy grail. For conceal carry, I recommend trying to get IWBs to work first, but if it doesn't work out, there are plenty of other alternatives with little loss or trade off. I'm rambling.

Page generated in 0.03590 seconds with 8 queries