View Single Post
Old October 6, 2013, 05:39 PM   #63
bedbugbilly

Welcome to the forum! In reading your post, let me first say that I am sorry for the way things are turning out - but, when God closes a door he opens another.

In regards to the use of only one eland - you will adapt over time. Whatever you do, don't let it rule your life but instead, use it as a means to overcome the situation. May years ago, when I was going to Friendship, IN for the NMLRA Nationals, there was a fellow there who had no left arm from the shoulder down. It was amazing to watch him load and shoot his muzzleloader. He had a leather thong tied to the trigger guard which he would clamp in his mouth to help steady the rifle while he utilized his right to fire.

I was a firefighter for a number of years and a neighboring township had a firefighter who also was missing his left arm. He couldl do more work than anyone I have ever seen from hauling house to sitting on a Keeny Loop directing the nozzle of a 2 1/2" line under high pressure.

In a nutshell, a person can do whatever they set their mind to.

I would think that if you had a semi-auto that you could easily drop magazines and insert new ones. It might require some sort of fixture or holder at a range so that the semi is pointed down range and held secure enough to insert the magazine back in. On something like the 1911 platform, the slide will be held back after the last shot so you could release it with your thumb utilizing the slide lock release. I think you would just have to go to a range or a bigger gun shop, get someone who has some brains to wait on you and see what make/model could possibly work out best for you.

If necessary, I wouldn't rule out revolvers either. A revolver with a swing out cylinder should be easily released and with a tilt, the cylinder swing out. You might have to lay it down in order to eject but is is doable. As far as loading - I can visualize some sort of heavy base with a dowel or brass rod that points up smaller than the bore of the pistol. You could slide the barrel over the dowel/rod so that the back of the cylinder is pointing up, load your cartridges and snap cylinder back in to place. remove the pistol from the rod and shoot.

Hopefully you will find a solution to fit your needs. Life is too short not to enjoy it and if you enjoy shooting, then I wouldn't be afraid to ask for help. There is nothing wrong - we all need help of one sort or another. Maybe a friend that could help you load (I have no suggestions for loading semi-magazines but perhaps some will). Personally, if I was at a range and saw somebody that needed some assistance, I would be more than happy to give them a hand loading or even cleaning if they needed it so they could enjoy the sport. That's what it's all about.

My very best to you - ou'll be in our thoghts and prayers and please let us know how it works out for you. Determination can overcome anything!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63

Page generated in 0.02752 seconds with 8 queries