View Single Post
Old July 21, 2011, 01:10 PM   #14
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Quote:
I'm starting to realize, as I read and think about this, that the .410 might not be a good way for her to start at all.
What I feel about this has nothing to do with my non-existant formal clay sports experience...

But a new person entering a new hobby/sport/passtime has only a couple chances to truly develop a like/dislike of it.

Some folks (few I feel) have the ability to realize they are just giving it a try and if the equipment is holding them back, they won't get discouraged but rather they will press on happily.

I feel the majority will blame them self or the equipment and get badly discouraged further hampering their possible performance.

BMX bicycle racing is one excellent example. A kid sees a BMX race and wants to try it out... Daddy loads the $50.00 huffy with steel coaster brake wheels, bald tires and NON-RACING frame and hauls him to the track... even if all the kids hold their mud about "team flannel shirt/team huffy" and try to encourage the new kid, he still has no honest chance of placing well against kids on $5,000 titanium bikes wearing $500 in real racing attire designed to allow unrestricted range of motion jeans just cannot compare to.

I almost was that dad! Lucky for me and junior, I listened to a guy with a shop and team as he explained this very thing to me. I scrimped and saved and bought an entry lever race bike for a few hundred and put a couple hundred dollars worth of parts upgrades along with some "Team Redneck" mods and weight reducing drilling and headed to the track. Junior had a blast trying to get better with minor discouragement as we proceeded. We seen alot of the first type of dads and sons come and go and I really felt bad for the kid who might have had some real promise.

It was SOP for many of us to get the dads aside to explain while our boys would take the new kid aside and get him on their mount to show them it isn't their fault they cannot be competitive.

Brent

Page generated in 0.03150 seconds with 8 queries