View Single Post
Old February 4, 2011, 02:02 PM   #1
"JJ"

Still waiting on a double!!

Went out this morning in the North East Texas blizzard. The wind was right for this new spot I just got permission to hunt. Scouting this place showed lots of promise!

I set up on a well traveled fence row under a big old oak tree. I was facing North into the 3 mph NNW wind. I got set up a bit before daylight and set for a bit to let things settle!

I started with a cottontail distress & I immediately have some movement. I see a brown flash on the other side of a thin strip of woods that follow a dry creek bed about 120-150 yrds to my North. Then another flash & then another!! I think here comes a pack of dogs!!

I find them in the scope & the first is a doe. The other two seem smaller. I can't get a good look yet. I think maybe a couple of dogs running a deer. They come out the other end of the trees & she takes her to fawns over the fence & thru the woods!

So I refocus & let out another crying rabbit!

Then about 6 or 7 crows come in to investigate. They sit in the oak I am under & caw when I call!

I get ready to let out another call & I catch a flash out by the critter. A large hawk is on a bee line for my MOJO! It decides it doesn't want it a few feet away & pulls up!!

So I am feeling pretty good about my cover. If the birds of prey are fooled you are doing something right!

Ok, I now need some dogs to respond!!

I am about to let out another & I again catch movement way of in the distance. Around 400 yards North West of me. It looked good but I wasn't getting my hopes up yet!

I pick the rifle up out of the sticks & scope it out!

There is a coyote walking North east! There is another. And another & another!

4 dogs acting like they haven't heard a thing. Mind you, it is snowing BIG snow flakes & its coming down hard!

I hit the cottontai again & one head comes up to attention. It then starts a dead run my way! I reposition my sticks to pick up thier approach! Peep through the scope again & yep all four are coming to the call!

I start trying to calm my self. I take off the safety & look for them again! Still on thier way. They approach the opening in the dry creek bed & slow up.

I take the safety off & watch them for a second.

Now at 240 yards to my North East, I would like to get them a bit closer to try to get multiple shots.

I ease my thump up & take the rifle off safety & watch as the front dog starts to the South.

I let out a little squeak & it turns back my way. Now at maybe 150 yards away it sees my MOJO doing work & it is on!!

I ease off the safety and ready myself as the 1st dog approaches the decoy.

At about 10 yrds I bark and the dog stops in its tracks. I think about making sure the safety is off but I am almost sure I did already!

Slightly quartering to me I drop the hammer. Cyclone begins!!

I jack another round in and the spent casing doesn't clear. I pull the bolt back & swipe my hand across to clear the brass a close the bolt. I let out a ki-yi and the other dogs stop & turn around.

I am bursting at the seams!! I'm gonna get a double!!

I line up the cross hairs & drop the hammer. CLICK!! A dud?

I work the bolt to load another round & line up the scope aaannnd, CLICK!! AAUGH!!

I drop the mag. There is a chunk of ice on top of the next round. I finally get it clear, ended up dropping a round in the snow & reload the mag. Work the bolt & this time watch it pick up the next round!

Now, how far have the dogs made away?

What? They are slowly walking back to the decoy!!

Line up the shot, BANG! Dog down!

Ki-yi & the other turns back! Line up the shot, BANG! Dog down!!

The first is just standing there in a mess & the forth round fired puts it to bed.

The fourth dog I assumed had turned into a fur rocket on the first shot.

I am now out of rifle rounds with the one lost in the snow. I decide to go inspect the dogs.

The forth dog runs out of the tree line heading back to where they came from. I have my .357 out as I am approaching the dogs. I squat down and start squeaking. The dog stop and looks for a second, but something is telling it to leave. NOW! I'll call it instinct!!

Yeah baby!! A tripple!

The first fur shots I launched in my new rifle & I get a triple!! I am stoked!!

Nice day with some bad weather!!

Sorry for the long post, more dogs = longer post!!

Thanks for looking guys!!

Page generated in 0.04211 seconds with 8 queries