View Single Post
Old October 23, 2001, 03:06 AM   #6
Bill Adair

R,

Lots of good info already offered, so I can't add much.

I've heard that HBWC bullets can actually shed their skirts when loaded too hot, so I'm not pushing mine even to max loads. Double ended wad cutters should be no problem.

I never shoot .38 cases in my GP100 (also 4") for two reasons.

One is soot and carbon build up ahead of the case mouth, which is only a problem if you try to slip .357 rounds into those dirty chambers.

The second, is that your bullet is basically unsupported at the front end as it leaves the case, and until it reaches the throat of the chamber. Some claim it can tilt slightly and deform as it enters the throat, which may be compounded when it next hits the forcing cone less than square on. This may be pure bull, but it seems possible.

I second the recommendation for Starline brass, but starting with new brass of any kind, gives you a good start on consistant crimp grip and case tension. You will probably never see a difference, but at least it will eliminate one variable.

Use good bullets. I use nothing but Oregon Trail bullets. I've found them to be extremely consistant, very accurate, and they do not cause lead buildup in any of my guns! I've used many thousands of them over the past three years, and have yet to find a single badly cast bullet!

Bill

Page generated in 0.03828 seconds with 8 queries