Thread: dogs
View Single Post
Old July 30, 2001, 04:07 PM   #18
Erich

Right behind our house there are trails running along the foothills of the Sandia mountains. My wife and I walk there a lot. So do a lot of folks who disregard the law that requires dogs to be kept on leashes.

We've been attacked (not talking about playful jumps, I've had enough dogs to know the difference) a few times, always one dog clearly in the lead (typical). I generally carry something loud and lethal, but I haven't used it yet. Who needs the attention? It's nice to have something stronger available should it be needed.

I've used 10% pepper foam on a dog's face - broke off the attack, but not as quickly as the time I shot a pitbull in the street by our mailbox with 10% OC spray (I bought the foam thinking it would be less likely to blow back in our faces than the spray). Won't use it again.

I've whaled on a dog with a Monadnock Autolock baton. That works, but it's pretty short (22", I think). The dog owner freaked out on that one.

Nowadays I carry my CaneMaster gentleman's cane (helps out on downhills since I have a hip injury). 36" long hickory rod, which is enough to keep between me and the dog. I've whacked the snouts of dogs twice and pushed on the chests of a jumper. No one ever looked askance at it, and it kept them away from us until the owners arrived in time to take care of things (at which time I usually lose it with the owner). I always have a wicked knife of some sort on me: if a dog bit the end of the cane on a jab, I'd either shoot it or cut its throat. And Jody's first story made me re-think cutting the throat! Knowing how easy it is to break dogs' front legs, I've always considered the cane's crook as a possible method of attack, but I've never gone there.

I also have one of those Cold Steel sjamboks. If I get attacked this weekend, I;ll whale the dog with it and get back to you on its effectiveness. I think the owners might freak on that one, too.

Page generated in 0.02887 seconds with 8 queries