View Single Post
Old November 7, 2014, 09:15 AM   #24
fastfr8r

Common Carrier Notification

Not sure if this was covered in a previous post and forgive me if beating a dead horse but I saw reference to notification to the common carrier that the shipment contains a firearm in these posts a little unclear:

"UPS policy says you must notify them that you are shipping a firearm. Federal law only requires notification if you are shipping interstate to a non licensee."

Confusing where the second sentence came from as I can't seem to find it in the UPS Tarriff or guidelines and the only reference they appear to have concerning notification of contents is:

"When you are shipping a package that contains a handgun, you must verbally notify the UPS driver or UPS Customer Center clerk."

FedEx is pretty straightforward as quoted in the original post:

"FedEx requires you notify them when you are shipping a firearm."

This about USPS:

"There is no requirement to notify USPS that you are shipping a rifle or shotgun."

That might be a statement for the lawyers as some definitions of "common carrier" fit the post office, though the reference to notification by the BATF is under the section referring to carriers such as FedEx and UPS and not the seperate USPS guidelines, which would indicate to me they have no requirement to notify the post office. In a courtroom, who knows...

Here's my point: It's not just a good idea to notify the common carrier (for our discussion and BATF guidelines as FedEx and UPS) the shipment contains a firearm, it's federal law referring to all firearms and I believe these company policies reflect the federal requirement for common carrier notification:

"A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm.
[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(2)(A), 922(a) (3), 922(a)(5) and 922(e), 27 CFR 478.31 and 478.30]"

Last edited by fastfr8r; November 7, 2014 at 10:03 AM. Reason: Title

Page generated in 0.04053 seconds with 8 queries