View Single Post
Old November 21, 2013, 03:52 PM   #10
RX-79G

EffinAZ,

I don't believe C is true. There is no good reason that you can't box up your guns to ship them to yourself and get an agent (friend, landlord, whatever) to keep the box and take it to UPS on your behalf. That is how hunting lodges operate.

It is also completely legal to have the mover take it, and many do. You might want to look into a different moving service. Ship them in a locked document safe.

Another way to go is to find a place that you'll be driving through to and from Canada. Rent a locker at a gun range or get a safety deposit box.

Ship the gun to an attorney in Ohio. This is fine as long as they don't open it (hunting lodge rules, again.) I say attorney because it is someone you can trust just because you're paying them.

Rent a mailbox at a private mailbox company. (Not the post office.) As long as they can sign for deliveries and your shipment is secure, no problem. You aren't violating any laws by doing this, and UPS cannot mark what is in the box, so the mailbox place won't know what they're holding for you. (I woulnd't use UPS to ship to a USP store - keep the shipper and post box companies separate.)

Finally, see if there is a shooting range near your new home in Ohio. Ranges often store gun for their clients. You may have to get a membership or pay for the storage, but that avoids most of the perceived problems. Make sure they understand that you aren't transferring anything, just shipping the guns to yourself.

Remember - these are YOUR guns, and as long as you are the ultimate recipient it doesn't matter who handles the box on the way to you. As long as the box isn't opened it is no one's business that guns are in them. You can ship them to yourself through other people and be in full compliance with the law.

Also, get all your household goods covered under homeowners or renters insurance. The coverage you get from the moving company is worthless. UPS or FedEx insurance is decent, but won't cover the box once it gets to wherever.

Page generated in 0.02929 seconds with 8 queries