View Single Post
Old July 23, 2012, 02:25 PM   #14
Edward429451

Quote:
Given the totality of the circumstances, the practical difference between having a .380 and something larger is just about nil.
I do not agree with this. The circumstances were a dark room full of chaos with a random shooter, you seem to be saying that a pocket sized 380 would stand as much chance as a full frame, easier to shoot pistol in this case? You go on to state that any gun is better than no gun, and you are correct in this, however, I am clearly comparing the mouse guns to bigger pistols, and the bigger pistols as a stand in for a rifle.

It is debatable whether or not a bigger gun would be a significantly better option than a pocket pistol (hence the thread), because, as noted, any gun is not a magic talisman with guarantees. Point well taken. Yet that does not mean that a service size pistol, perhaps with night sights, would be no better than your Seecamp! Oversized room in the dark, armored perp, exit blocked.

I've been lugging this 5" Colt 45 around for a lotta lotta years now, and I will admit that the few close calls that I have had, a 380 would have sufficed. I've thought about downsizing, but recent events have made me re-think it in another light. Service size pistols are easier to shoot well with than compacts because of increased sight radius, larger controls, and a proper grip. All these things will become important in an incident. You'll be highly stressed, fine motor skills gone, and probably in a loud chaotic environment. If all these cards will be stacked against you, then it makes sense to me to choose a larger gun over a smaller one.

I am built like Harry Callahan. Tall and thin. It's no feat to conceal a 5" 1911 IWB under a t-shirt. It's all about having the right holster and belt. I'm not tryin to carve anything into stone here fellahs, just tossin some ideas around.

Page generated in 0.03371 seconds with 8 queries