View Single Post
Old September 24, 2011, 11:03 PM   #5
modgodcom

Manual, Conversational, and CNC machinist, here.

For a mill, start with a Bridgeport in good shape with a decent DRO. There is no better option unless youre willing to spend the coin on a Prototrak. Its the best of both worlds,good old fashioned reliability, and for a couple grand you can buy a prototrak addon later on to augment your capabilities and have at least some CNC capability if you want/need it. Prototrak is conversational and if you get used to how a DRO works over time, you'll pick it up quick. If you've really got coin to burn, pick up a HAAS TM-1. Still has the handles like a regular mill, but unlike the Prototrak has FULL CNC capability. Also, it has a conversational aspect to it that youd pick up quickly.

As far as lathes go,a Sigma or a LeBlond will serve you well. Theres also a Proto version called Protopath, but I dont know off the top of my head which manual lathes the upgrade kits can attach to. I would be very hesitant about getting into a HAAS VL-1 or a ProtoPath because CNC lathe work is a bit more complicated to get into, hire a CNC lathe guy to teach you before you get away from turning the handles yourself. As always, with either choice on mill or lathe, do your research into work and tool holding as they are just as important and arent universally compatible in regards to collets and chucks. When buying a lathe, pick up all the tool holders and chucks and other sundry attachments at the same time from the same company because theyre usually fit to the ways of your lathe.

Page generated in 0.02219 seconds with 8 queries