View Single Post
Old July 21, 2014, 11:06 AM   #11
Technosavant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo
This week's executive order will also bite into that, though I doubt it will be much of a deterrent to Putin.
I just don't see there being that much money involved in rifle/shotgun sales from the Kalashnikov concern to the US. Saiga shotguns, while having their own loyal community, are such a small part of the market that it's probably about negligible. Saiga rifles just don't seem to be as popular as some of the other nations' AKs because of the conversions required on them to make them the same profile.

They may add up to a few million per year, but that's a rounding error for most governments.

Like bikerbill said, I'd think a prohibition on importing their vodka would be a bigger deal to them. But then, that might cause some pushback on the administration... prohibiting arms imports for civilians won't cause any of that since anybody who would dislike it isn't a political ally of theirs anyway. Politically, it's free.

But even then, the government can indeed prohibit imports without infringing on the RKBA... with such a large domestic arms industry, not being able to buy a Saiga is really no biggie. We have the right to purchase firearms, just not necessarily the right to purchase that particular brand of foreign firearms.

Page generated in 0.02945 seconds with 8 queries