View Single Post
Old October 9, 2013, 08:21 AM   #10
F. Guffey

I do not assume, I have hammers, I have big hammers, I have little hammers and I have all the hammers in between,presses? Same thing, I have big presses and I have little presses and I have the presses that are between the big press and the little press, and I have inverted presses. The case installs upside down, it is called a arbor press. When it comes to a case whipping my press it is a matter of getting a bigger press.

The secret? Is knowing when to know a bigger press is necessary. Back to “I do not assume”, When a case will not chamber after sizing I measure the case from the shoulder back to the case head before sizing and again after sizing. When returning a case back to minimum length/full length size the die contacts the shell holder when the ram is up, if the die does not contact the shell holder the case can not be full length sized, because full length sizing depends on the operator of the press to adjust the die down to the shell holder with an additional turn of the die be it an additional 1/4 turn, 1/2 turn or full turns. Again, if the case is holding the die off the shell holder when the ram is raised the case is not being full length sized.

Trouble shooting? For me? Not a problem. When I want to know if my press die and shell holder whipped the case the die is contacting the shell holder. When the case whips my press, die and shell holder there is a gap between die and shell holder. When I want to know ‘by how much’ I use a feeler gage to measure the gap in thousandths. It is a simple matter of the presses' ability of overcoming the resistance of the case being sized.

While I always have the feeler gage out I use it to increase the presses ability to overcome the cases ability to resist sizing by jacking the case up and off the deck of the shell holder, something like a poor mans small base die.

F. Guffey

Page generated in 0.03645 seconds with 8 queries