View Single Post
Old May 11, 2013, 10:32 AM   #9
mikld

I would disagree that best accuracy is obtained from max. loads. I have been reloading .38 Special for almost 40 years and assorted other handgun cartridges for 30 (.44 Special and Mag, 357 Magnum, 9mm, and 45 ACP). All "most accurate" loads seem to be nearer the minimum listed loads than maximum loads, having tested quite a bit of reloaded ammo in my 5, .44 Magnums.

I would think that a "universal receiver" as used in laboratory settings, is more of a convenience, rather the "optimum"; one receiver can be used with 50 barrels, rather than 50 different guns, or "rail guns".

Reloading data isn't absolute, "do not vary from formulae". As you noted, manuals often state "your results may vary", which isn't a cop out, but the techs/test personnel cannot control the variations in the user's guns. I choose to view reloading manuals as strong suggestions, based on safe pressures obtained from different powder/bullet combinations, as they relate to SAAMI standards, which is safe in all modern guns of good/decent condition...

Page generated in 0.05963 seconds with 8 queries