View Single Post
Old May 11, 2013, 09:08 AM   #6
Clark

I can work up a load in a strong rifle until I reach the threshold of long brass life or the primer pierces, and then back off a safety margin.
I can work up a load in a strong semi auto pistol until the case bulges, the primer pierces, or recoil is too much for the recoil spring so the slide hammers the frame. Then I can back off a margin.
I can work up in strong revolver until the brass is sticky and then back off a safety margin.
But how do I know which guns are stronger than the brass?
The gun manufacturers do not tell the truth about this.
The load books do not tell the truth about this.
And when the brass fails, which guns shoot gun pieces at you from gas cutting?
The answer is that you would have to be able to think.
There are no safety guarantee in climbing mountains or handling poisonous snakes or racing motorcycles.
You just have to be smart enough to figure it out, or otherwise you had better follow procedures.
In public politics polarization the most important variable is individualism vs collectivism.
It is my opinion that inside of engineering organizations the most important polarizing dimension is "do it per procedures" vs "get 'r done".
My engineering model, I think, is of some use in understanding handloading work ups.
I have seen published accounts of three levels of loads for 45/70, 32-20, and 45 Colt.
How do you feel about me posting my three levels of 30-30 for three levels of 30-30 rifles?
Your reaction will place you somewhere on the spectrum of "do it per proceedures" vs "Get 'r done".

What does it all mean?
If you know which guns will blow up in a work up, working up does not do any good in those guns.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?

Page generated in 0.03470 seconds with 8 queries