View Single Post
Old May 2, 2013, 11:16 AM   #117
Dashunde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimio
if I was in the teachers position, I would have requested the child come with me, away from the crowd and then politely state that I do not believe the shirt is appropriate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimio
trying to picture myself in their position and having their personal/politcal opinions and seeing how I would have handled the situation
I understand you dont agree with them or share their views, but...

The teachers beliefs or personal/political opinions are not relevant in the first place - the only thing relevant is the schools established dress code policy and the civil rights of the kid. The teachers situation & position is one of their own making because they erroneously thought their beliefs/views had any bearing.
It’s the schools dress code - not the teacher's. The teacher is responsible for knowing and clearly understanding the policy and applying it without contortion by personal beliefs.

The kid should never have been approached, let alone pulled aside or otherwise confronted unless the shirt clearly violates policy based on fact.
If shirt is borderline or questionable the teacher should have simply brought it to the attention of the administrators and let them decide what to do, or not to do.

Page generated in 0.03429 seconds with 8 queries