View Single Post
Old June 28, 2012, 06:17 AM   #13
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunXpatriot
So in essence (for the most part), if I can own a firearm, I can make it?

In other words (for NY at least), overall rifle length is 16 inches with overall length minimum of 26 inches.

I still don't understand the "on site" thing... Seems like the ATF makes everything so much more complicated than it has to be, but then again, that's law I suppose...
I am only familiar with the Federal law, not with NY state law. NY may impose other requirements or restrictions on making your own. My comments are limited to the Federal law.

The Federal requirement says nothing about "on site." Also, Federal law defines the receiver as the "firearm." I'll use a 1911 pistol as the example, since I've been contemplating making my own Officers ACP and I have been reverse engineering one to create a suitable blueprint. The only part the BATFE cares about is the receiver, and the only requirement attaching to that is that I have to perform at least 20 percent of the work in making it. (There is a market out there selling "80 percent" receivers for both 1911s and AR-15s). I do not have to perform the work "on site," meaning on my own property. I can rent time on a milling machine in the next town or the next county ... but I must perform 20 percent of the work.

I can buy all the rest of the parts (springs, screws, barrel, slide, etc.) or I can make any of them that I have the capability to make -- it doesn't matter. The other parts are just parts -- it is the receiver that is the "firearm."

Page generated in 0.03287 seconds with 8 queries