View Single Post
Old May 6, 2012, 12:52 AM   #2
Gatofeo

Years ago, faced with the same problem, I gently pushed out the live primer with the decapping die.
For safety's sake, I cut both ends off a stout, steel can and ran the press' ram up through the center of the can. It gave me some protection if the primer did blow.
I started reloading with the old Lee Loader, that required you to tap a primer into the case using a metal rod inserted down into the case. This method works, but occasionally I'd set off a primer.
Thrilling!
But harmless.
With the can around the ram and die, I felt confident that an ignited primer would be contained in the steel can.
I had about half a dozen cartridges to push out primers, and I never had one go off. I just applied gently increasing pressure until the primer was pushed out. I didn't reuse the primer because I'd read that doing so, the priming compound pellet might be crushed and become unreliable.
Wear eye protection.
Clear your reloading bench of any cans of powder, ammo, primed cases or primers.
Can't be too careful with this. The gods do love to amuse themselves by making improbabilities become realities.

Page generated in 0.03466 seconds with 8 queries