View Single Post
Old April 2, 2010, 03:29 PM   #17
Slamfire

Quote:
Quote:
The loaded chamber indicator rested on the rim of a chambered cartridge. Which meant if you dropped the thing onto the chamber indicator, the pistol would fire.
I'm not sure where you came up with that, but it's not ture at all. I just spoke to Jullian at Ruger recently about this same concern and he told me there is no way that it would possibly fire. It was specificly designed not to fire when dropped.
As I said, this was an early Mark III. The loaded chamber indicator rested on the rim of the cartridge and stuck out the side of the pistol. My friend, who got his undergraduate at MIT and Phd at Stamford, agreed with my assessement that a direct strike on the loaded chamber indicator would transmit the force of the blow onto the cartridge rim.

After we took his indicator to a Class III manufacturer, and he agreed with our assessment, he milled the projecting part of the loaded chamber indicator off. It was both a safety and function improvement.

All of us agree that the chamber indicator was a kluge.

Later, my Phd friend received a notice from Ruger and a newly designed loaded chamber indicator.

Which he did not install as his Ruger MkIII was now functioning perfectly.

Except it is still a PITA to disassemble.

I am not ever getting rid of my MarkII as it is a better pistol.

Page generated in 0.02236 seconds with 8 queries