View Single Post
Old August 23, 2015, 07:23 PM   #1
dakota.potts

What's wrong with my shotgun?

I took my new CZ 612 out today to shoot a round of sporting clays. I ended up shooting about 60 rounds before my shoulder couldn't take too much more and I called it for the day.

I had some issues along the way though. In my first set of 10, I had several misfires. There was an audible click, but no fire. Partially opening the action to re-cock it usually allowed me to fire a round. At first, it was assumed that since I was a new shooter and loading my first round directly into the open chamber, I wasn't riding the pump forward far or hard enough. Really bringing it forward did help a little bit.

Examination of the ejected cases revealed that the primers were being dented, but not firing. Usually, after letting them sit a little bit, they would fire if I put them back in again.

The guys I was shooting with noticed that my magazine tube cap would loosen up and back out, and told me that can cause a gap between the receiver and chamber which can create those kinds of issues. It seemed like no matter how tight I turned it, it would back out after a couple of shots. Why did this happen? I was told this can happen if the threads are dry and I need to try some grease?

One of the guys present really cranked it down good by hand, and it didn't seem to really back out after that, although I did only shoot 20 rounds. After this, I had only a few misfires. I had probably 8 misfires my first 20 rounds and only 3 or 4 the last 20. There was one issue where a misfired round fired when struck again, but the bolt locked up and I had to use the action lock and put some extra effort to get that round to eject.

I bought this shotgun for dove season, and I really do want to like it (it's a nice shotgun) but I worry about this performance.

It also occurs to me that I didn't strip it and clean out all of the factory grease before shooting. Can that be a cause?

EDIT: Forgot to mention, I was using Winchester Universal #8 shot. Seems like there are reports of people having issues with this ammo, but not quite to the extent I'm having. It was the cheapest ammo that was there at Walmart - maybe I got burned by that. I did shoot a couple rounds of Rio from somebody else's collection, but not enough to establish consistency with it. He did trade me a box of his Rio for the remainder of my Winchester since his shotgun seemed to shoot it, and I liked the lighter recoil.

Last edited by dakota.potts; August 23, 2015 at 07:32 PM.

Page generated in 0.03754 seconds with 8 queries