View Single Post
Old January 17, 2006, 03:15 PM   #9
Death from Afar

Thats all right Roy- I get quite a few questions about shooting in NZ, and indeed one member of this forum is in the process of immigrating here, he enjoyed it so much!

I am not an expert on bird hunting by any means, and normally tag along with the experts. I do know the bird hunting is good, and considered the best in the world for some species. Water fowl being the only game in the country that has a season. There is no deer season for example, and for pests like wild pigs and goats you can shoot huge tallies as they are in big numbers in some places. There are no predatpry mammals at all in this country, so shootingis the only control- you are actively encouraged to shoot as many possums and rabbits as you can. The Fish and Game council runs all the bird shooting and all the info you need can be found at :

http://www.fishandgame.org.nz/

Fish and game look after all bird hunting as well as fishing. The country has regions for the council as different areas have different pressures. In the top half of the south island, canadas are in such numbers that they orgainse culls of the birds, which are great fun.

Dogs- Again, I am not an expert, but German Short hairs are easily the most common I have seen. A mate of mine has one and we are training it on the rabbits at the moment.

Have you seen the Lord of the rings? Many of the extras in the battle scenes were my soldiers when I was in the Army, so all the outdoors scenes are where I have been hunting.

Page generated in 0.02848 seconds with 8 queries