View Single Post
Old October 16, 2001, 04:31 AM   #1
boing

Lil Range Report, nuthin special...

I blew off a volunteer day at work Saturday and took my new CZ75B Mil and my pre-Loaded Springfield Gov't for a little drive.

The place was packed with a very large CCW class, but they were still in the lecture session, so I set up on Lane Number Two, my favorite station. The wires for the target runner are tight on this lane so the targets don't swing much, and lighting is good.

I've recently started moving away from my philosophy of "Combat Adequacy" and more into shooting nice tight groups. Accordingly, I've all but abandoned any interest in double action triggers. Defensively, I can shoot well enough in DA, but all the better in SA.

Since one of my dogs ate my prescription glasses, I can only see in focus out to about 10 yards, so that's where I ran my targets. I've been trying to get back to basics, mainly watching the front sight instead of the holes in the paper, so "seeing" the target isn't that big of a deal. I just don't like having to run the target in to evaluate my progress after each group.

I had 100 rds of 230 gr Win USA JHP. It's cheap, so function testing is realistically affordable, and recent net reading I've done seems to indicate that the round actually performs pretty well in informal tests, with premium rounds used as control. What the hell, let's see if it goes. I loaded up 9 rds, settled myself into a comfy stance, firm grip, front sight, click. Hmmm...click is bad. I held the gun downrange and waited for the hangfire, and then I remembered what the problem was.

I recently had a brief and sudden living situation that required me to disable any weapons that weren't under my immediate(!) control (unstable person present, possible threat to themselves, etc..) Lockable storage was limited and semi-improvised, so I had modified the firing pin on the 1911 to render it inoperable, and had since forgotten to replace it. Dammit.

Anyway, I switched over to the CZ with Win USA ball...comfy stance, firm grip, front sight, bang! Aaahhh...that was nice. Dead center. For the next half hour I chewed ragged holes in the black. There's something supremely satisfying about shooting a bunch of groups into the part of the target that's now missing, and not seeing anymore holes. Not wanting to get too far from my Roots, I brought the target in to about 6 yds and cranked off 16 shots as fast as I could pull the trigger, grouping into a tidy 4 inch circle. Not too shabby, if don't mind saying, and I don't. The CZ is nothing if not pointable, controllable, and accurate...and it's not nothing. With thin grips, a reachable thumb safety, and successful function testing with Gold Dots, this gun would replace my super-mega-ultra-reliable 228 for daily carry, no question.

Next to me was a guy about 70 years old firing fullhouse loads from a .357 snub. I could actually feel my eyelashes flapping in the pressure wave. It kind of distracted me some, but not nearly as much as it distracted him. 7 yards out, a full cylinder rarely landed more than one or two shots on paper. I wanted to go over and see if I could "advise" him some, but I'm not very comfortable with critiquing other shooters at the range: "Excuse me, sir, but I believe that gun is too much for an old man like you..."

On a happy side note, at least three parties of shooters asked for Bad Guy sillouette targets, but were denied. Sold out, and my dealer couldn't order anymore because his distributors were sold out, too.

At least in these here parts, The People are getting ready.

Page generated in 0.03842 seconds with 8 queries