View Single Post
Old March 10, 2008, 04:09 PM   #17
OnTheFly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer
I would no more expect someone to come to a CCW course without this basic knowledge than I would expect someone who had never flown to come to me and say "teach me how to fly a jet at 500mph".
Okay...let me rephrase that comment.

I would no more expect a rational, intelligent, law abiding citizen (terrorists excluded) to come to a CCW course without this basic knowledge than I would expect someone (who matches prior description) who had never flown to come to me and say "teach me how to fly a jet at 500mph".

Quote:
Originally Posted by pax
A lot of people use the CCW classes as their first exposure to firearms.
Pax,

I agree. Many people will try to use this class as their first exposure to firearms training. To be perfectly honest, this was MY first course. Besides being a pilot, I used to be an instructor in skydiving. We used to do something called "dirt diving" which was simply practicing on the ground what we were going to do in the sky so that the dive would be second nature. The same goes for flying. We have procedural trainers that help us get the mental/physical skills ingrained so when we have a real SHTF situation, we can deal with it. On my own I've done the same with shooting. I've read a lot of useful information. Much of it on TFL (thanks to everyone's helpful information), I've talked in-depth with friends who are experienced shooters, and I take my new learnings to the range to physically practice it.

I know we don't need more restrictions/cost associated with shooting, but if someone isn't willing to take the time to educate themselves, then they should have the common sense to get educated by an NRA instructor, military personnel, friend, or someone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pax
2) possess the ability NOT to shoot an innocent bystander by accident.
When this gentleman pointed his gun at me, I WAS the innocent bystander. Granted, he didn't shoot me, but he wasn't exactly demonstrating #2 in your list.

Thanks for the comments folks. It is helpful information.

Fly

Bang... Bang... Bang...

Page generated in 0.02609 seconds with 8 queries