View Single Post
Old September 25, 2002, 07:13 AM   #1
Greybeard

TX Attny General 9-24-02 Letter to TSRA

The following was in my "inbox" this morning from TSRA. Did anyone catch the referenced article (editorial?) in Dallas Morning News? If so, please post.

I got a phone call last Saturday from Rep. Gracia/Hupp reguesting CHL holder support for Dewhurst and Patterson in upcoming elections. She said they will be needed to help get the situation (regarding some municipalities posting signs) fixed in next session. This letter looks like a step in the right direction! Regards, Greybeard.

Below is a letter from John Cornyn to the Texas State Rifle Association that totally
explains and reverses his intentions as stated in the DMN.

- - - - - - - - -

September 24, 2002

Dr. James T. Brown
Texas State Rifle Association
1131 Rockingham Lane, Suite 130
Richardson, TX 75080

Dear Doc:

I enjoyed the opportunity to discuss the Second Amendment right of law-abiding citizens to
possess firearms with you and correct some misconceptions in a newspaper story.

Gun shows are a legitimate venue for hundreds of thousands of law-abiding Texans to buy,
sell, and trade firearms every year, and they should be preserved. While I support the
federal requirement that licensed gun dealers must perform background checks on buyers no
matter where the sale takes place, I oppose forcing private individuals - those who are
not in the business of selling guns and therefore not required to be licensed - to perform
bureaucratic and burdensome checks.

On another subject, I know there has been frustration concerning Attorney General's
Opinion Number JC-0325 dealing with the ability of local governments to prohibit the
holder of a concealed handgun license from carrying a handgun onto property controlled by
local government. As Attorney General of Texas, of course, it is my duty to interpret and
enforce existing law regardless of my personal views.

An attempt was made by the Texas Legislature to prevent local governments from prohibiting
holders of a concealed handgun license from carrying a handgun onto government property.
Despite the intentions of the bill supporters, the legislation signed into law did not
have the desired affect. As a result, my office had no choice but to determine that local
governments still had the authority to ban holders of a concealed handgun license from
possessing a handgun on local government property under some circumstances.

I will not be serving in the next session of the Texas Legislature, but I support an
amendment to the current law that would accomplish what you and other Second Amendment
supporters intended, but which legislators did not accomplish under the current law -
preventing local governments from interfering with a state-conferred, concealed carry
license holder's rights.

I look forward to working with you on Second Amendment rights in the future.

Sincerely,

John Cornyn
Attorney General of Texas

Page generated in 0.02783 seconds with 8 queries