View Single Post
Old October 5, 2017, 11:07 AM   #11
MrBorland

Quote:
Originally Posted by rshaw
What is a "reasonable" expectation for a "decent group" when shooting with one hand, and 30 seconds to fire 5 rounds?
Some see it as a high bar, but my standard for "good" (but not excellent) 2-handed handgun marksmanship is a consistent and honest 3" at 25 yards, 5 shots, unsupported with a serviced sized handgun of reasonable quality, and decent ammo (DA/SA revolver shooters ought to be able to do this in both DA and SA mode). Some bullseye shooters have told me that since they're so practiced, their 2-handed marksmanship isn't much better than their 1-handed. Still, for most, I'd open that up to 4" at 25 for 1-handed. "Consistent" means that's what you're typically able to do on command, and not the once-in-a-lifetime target that's hanging on your fridge. "Honest" means everything counts, i.e., you don't discount shots as a "fliers" just because they don't group as well as the others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangolima
I expect a service pistol can group better than 12" out 25m at the least. 8" is average. 6” is good. 4" is very good. 3" or less is excellent. 10 shots or more.
Well, I typically shoot 5-shot groups, and I was able to group my new-to-me M&P into 3" or better on the first day I got it. I don't know for sure how much that'd open up with 10-shots, but my guess is a decent "service pistol" itself should be capable of 3" at 25 or better from a rest, so a good shooter ought to be able to be able to get 4ish" at 25 2-handed. IMO, a good quality (but not dedicated target) revolver or semi-auto with good sights, trigger & ammo ought to print an inch or better at 25 yards from a rest.

Quote:
I am a shooter who can get 2-inch groups with a 22 cal S&W Model 41 using CCI MiniMags at 10 meters.
BTW, if it were my M41, I'd only be shooting SV ammo through it. As I understand it, the M41 wasn't designed for HV ammo like minimags, and their use can add wear and tear (or even damage) over the long run.

Quote:
I should do the bench test just to see how consistent the results are
+1.

Page generated in 0.03019 seconds with 8 queries