View Single Post
Old December 1, 2018, 08:17 PM   #67
ROCK6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmr40

Rock6, if you're still following the thread, I've been to several places in your photo's. Springer Mt and Rough Ridge. Killed a bear near that Rough Ridge trail sign many years ago. And that area is FULL of bear. I wouldn't hike there without a gun suitable to stop a black bear.

My choice if black bear are in the area is a G29 loaded with 200 gr hardcast bullets. If no bear a smaller 9mm will do just fine.
We've run into dozen of bears along the AT. As long as you follow basic protocol (don't rub peanut butter on your toes and then climb into your hammock), they're less of a threat than the druggies at some of the shelters. Bi-pedal humanoids are the biggest threat as you get closer to civilization.

Now, the Cohutta National Forest, west of Springer is loaded with black bear. I would likely go with more bear repellant if we go back there. 8 out of 10 backpackers we ran into were open carrying (it was during bear hunting season as well). I'm not saying black bear are harmless, but their threat is extremely low compared to other potential and more likely threats (severe weather, mechanical injury, arthropod attacks, hot/cold weather injuries, etc.

I'll admit, carrying a handgun is more for mental comfort than actual necessity. The challenge becomes weighing your choices (literally) when every ounce counts. Nobody carrying a .44 caliber Ruger Redhawk is likely backpacking 12-15 miles a day for several days. For actual distance backpacking, especially on more established trails are very low-threat. The only areas that are problematic are the shelters (especially in the Smokies), where backpackers leave food and trash and attracts more opportunistic bears...which is why we never sleep near shelters...

Last time we went into Cohutta, I just took along a G23 with the 200gr Hardcast +P. 10mm would be more appropriate in a G29-sized package, but I don't have one in the stables (yet). I've carried my .40S&W Shield as well for a much lighter choice than the double-stack G23; that's about the lightest pistol with the most punch without getting into some of the air-weight .357's.

ROCK6

Last edited by ROCK6; December 1, 2018 at 08:23 PM.

Page generated in 0.03601 seconds with 8 queries