View Single Post
Old October 6, 2017, 04:14 AM   #140
Pond, James Pond

Quote:
Do you think when writing the 2nd amendment they were thinking that technology would not improve the firearm ?
Does a bump stock improve the gun it is fitted to?

Would you use it in a HD situation?

Does anyone ever advocate spray and pray for SD?

Is a bump-stock primarily recreational?

I think all of those, bar the last, are a "no". Feel free to correct me.

I've said this before and I'll say it again: The RKBA is a great thing. It was written in to protect the citizenry from tyranny and guns achieved that.

They no longer do. People think they do but they don't.

The courts are your defence against tyranny now because it is the courts who will decide if guns are taken away or not.

No one is actually going to take up arms against the government and no one on here would advocate that, despite all the "defence against tyranny" rhetoric. And any government that turned to tyranny would not do so before the public was disarmed and this would happen through the courts.

So you need to keep that system on side.

What the 2nd A still does is allow citizens to have the most effective self-defence at their disposal to protect their right to a peaceful life for themselves and their loved ones, free of unwarranted aggression. That, for me is as important, if not more so than the tyranny argument. Because it is more relevant on a day-today basis.

You guys have a number of resources at your disposal to do that in order to protect the 2nd A.

First the 2nd A itself. Robust, but not infallible. The FA ban proves that as do all the restrictions now in place in many states.

Then there is your vote. Having 2nd A friendly representatives in Congress etc will help you but as the old guard is replaced by the next generation who may be more removed from the types of values of existing Republicans (mostly) will they still be such stalwarts?

Then you have two more things that are in surprisingly limited supply: money for lobbying education and there is public opinion. Both those have their limits.

My view is you guys need to pick your fights very wisely...
And I don't think this is one of them.

Last edited by Pond, James Pond; October 6, 2017 at 05:12 AM.

Page generated in 0.02587 seconds with 8 queries