View Single Post
Old July 28, 2014, 02:37 PM   #1
Unlicensed Dremel

Huge thumbs down for Ruger American

Really sad, that they made a really accurate, otherwise-nice rifle that does this, but after handling it, I wouldn't give a twenty dollar bill for one, due to the magazine.

It's cheap plastic, which is fine I suppose, given the price point, but you can just about blow on the release (very little pressure), and it falls out and worse yet, there is no sidewall friction to stop it or slow it down as you might expect there to be. It's a pure free fall the moment you release it with a light touch. And that's with an empty mag. Surefire recipe for a ruined hunt. As a range gun, it's fun, but it ain't a hunting rifle - that's for sure.

Oh, and not only is it super light, it's a very large tab, so that increases the chance of catching it on something. I hate it when gun makers get everything right except one or two things ... but they're major things; deal-breakers like this mag just begging to be lost. You see it all the time though - products just not ready for prime time being brought out. So close but yet no (proverbial) cigar.

Anyway, YMMV, but pass for me. At least it makes choices simpler. I had high hopes for it, because other detach-mag Rugers are well-made, such as the 10/22 series and similar designs - that mag is hard to release for a reason (and with upward pressure, not front-to-back pressure, the worst possible choice) - the way it should be!

Page generated in 0.03323 seconds with 8 queries