View Single Post
Old March 17, 2001, 11:26 PM   #5
S&W Man

I have loaded for years and on the 357 magnum, 38 spl, 38Long colt and 38 S&W I now use nothing but a roll crimp. This is designed for a revolver. The taper crimp is designed for a case headspacing on a case front not a rim. I have seen variances in pressures and performance vary too much with a taper crimp in the revolvers. I have never had that problem with a roll crimp. I also shoot 45ACP in my 1917 revolvers. I found that even though they are designed to shoot a autoload cartridge with a taper crimp, they also have less variances in a roll crimp. I mainly use 45 AutoRim in them now so I can roll crimp them and not have to worry about if my 45 ACP's are tapered or rolled.

Also, cannelures were designed for roll crimping not taper, a taper crimp is designed for a smoothsided bullet. That is why most factory crimps on rifle ammo is a modified roll crimp not a taper. Look at the powerful military 45ACP loads and they are smooth wall, taper crimp while the powerful 38 mil ball loads are all cannelured with a roll crimp. There azre definate reasons why the military specs them this way.

Just my 2ยข's worth.

The second admendment GUARANTEES the other nine and the Constitution!

Page generated in 0.01951 seconds with 8 queries