View Single Post
Old October 30, 2011, 07:13 PM   #13
Nathan

"I thought that's what SAMMI was all about, they set the standards the industry (gun and reloading equipment makers) adheres to. There is nothing arbitrary about it. How you set it up and use it will make a difference.

You can make very axial correct ammo using standard equipment but it requires you pay close attention to detail and learn to use your equipment to extract the most from it."

SAMMI sets min and max standards. Those are fairly wide. Ammo makers target SAMMI max specs and rifle makers target min also to maximize tool life. SAMMI specs are all about tool life. As an ammo maker, you cut your dies to min and replace at some point where the ammo is good enough your phones are not ringing off the hook! As a rifle maker, your reamer cuts max spec when new. You let it wear until you think you will have trouble feeding ammo. . .i.e. to keep your phone silent!

This spec range is fairly wide to let these makers use tools for long enough to be affordable and profitable.

When reloading, you don't want to make SAMMI ammo, you want to make ammo specific to your rifle. The closer you get, the better it will shoot, run reliably, etc.

"Lee's collet neck sizer is probably the BEST neck die for SAMMI chambered rifles snd it's inexpensive. It has a moving part that seems to throw some people; there is a learning curve but those who take the time/make the effort to learn how to use it correctly usually love it."

I totally agree. This die makes the ID concentric to the OD without case neck trimming.

Page generated in 0.02465 seconds with 8 queries