View Single Post
Old June 10, 2000, 04:30 PM   #2
blooch

if you do not have a case trimmer of some sort, get one, along with a good set of calipers, the 220 stretches cases faster than just about any cartridge. i assume you want to load up to max speed as that is what the 220 is all about. case stretching is not as bad if you slow them down to 22-250 velocities or less, but then why have a 220.
i used to load 52mbthp by nosler with 39.0 gr of 4064 in my 220. i shot everything with it, coyotes,crows and deer. i know i will get told about that, but it was the gun i had and it is legal for deer here. i NEVER had a single deer go more than 2 steps in any direction, i even killed two in one shot with it , with a witness. all my shots were in the head, from point blank to 475 yards. when i quit hunting deer with that gun in 1986 i was 46 straight, one shot, no wounded, deer.
i shot over 2000 rounds through my 220, a heavy barrel ruger 77 , without any problems of ground checking my targets, just got tired of it and moved on to handguns and competitive skeet.
the 220 seems to like 4064 and 3031, mbthp's in the 50 to 55 grain range. i had to trim cases about every other firing and i chunked 'em on the fourth loading. i used norma and winchester brass, the lots i had seemed to crack after the fifth firing, winchester being worse than norma.
accuracy wise , the 220 with the nosler 52 bthp match will shoot .5 moa all day long.
hope it helps.

Page generated in 0.03136 seconds with 8 queries