View Single Post
Old May 24, 2002, 06:30 PM   #1
redneck

Hunting Regs vs. Private property?

Whats your take on this. There have been a few fox in the area and have come up around the barn and in the pasture a few times ( I had a post about this earlier, asking about rabies) Anyhow, one showed up a couple weeks ago that was sicker than I've ever seen an animal, looked like day old road kill up walking around. No hair on any of its body except the very middle of its back, sores all over and moved kind of funny. I shot it, and buried it good and deep and figured that took care of the problem. I had only seen one fox around at the time and figured that was it.
After talking to some friends it turns out 3 of them have been around and have all been seen together, I shot the worst of them, the second looked almost as bad, and the third seemed healthy. Didn't see anymore for quite some time though.

Then yesterday I turned a mare and foal out to pasture for a few hours and came back to find them standing in the paddock more than willing to go back to the stall. Couldn't figure out what was going on, didn't see anything unusual in the pasture (grass is waist high in spots now, too much rain to get the horses out regularly) An hour later I looked out across the field and there was a fox chasing birds. I figure its what scared the horses out of the pasture. The foal is too young to vaccinate for any diseases for another couple months, and the fox didn't seem to bothered by me or anything else going on. I didn't get a chance for a shot at him though.
Alright I'll get to the actual question now What if I was to get a predator call (local store has one for red fox on sale right now) and call the thing in and shoot it? I don't have a hunting license (thinking about getting one this summer anyway, would like to make time to hunt or at least be able to go if I ever get time) and they're not in season in ohio. I don't think anyone would even know what I was doing but I don't want to get in any trouble. I figure I have a right to take care of varmints/pests on my property, but I'm not sure how it would go if I was calling them in. What do you think?

Thanks

Page generated in 0.02691 seconds with 8 queries